Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] thoroughbreds and endurance??? - Homer Safferwiffle

Homer, a couple of thoughts on your post.....
----- Original Message -----
From: "Homer Safferwiffle" <safferwiffle@xxxxxxxxxxx>

The Blood Horse Magazine and/or the Thoroughbred Record ran
> an article in the late sixties or early seventies that the last Barb
> decendant had died (In Nebraska, I believe) and that the remaining TB's in
> the US were all decendants of the Darley Arabian, making them pure
Arabians
> bred for relatively short distance racing.

If this is the case....why don't they appear more like ARabs?  Apparently,
something
else was bred in, as many Tb;s  you see are extremely tall, and some have
extremely big
and coarse heads.....so I don't see how they qualify as "pure" Arabs....

They may or may not classify as "pure" Arabs but, if what the TB magazines reported was true, all TB's trace all lines back to the Darley Arab and that would make them all "pure" Arabian by that definition. Not all present Arabs have good heads and more than a few are quite tall, especially the racing arabs. There is no doubt that the Jockey Club was open to pure Arab blood and that some horses were registered with both the Arabian Registry and the Jockey Club.

> The TB and Running QH blood in your Appy would be looked upon as an asset
by many, if not most people. Many would prefer the TB/QH blood over the Appy
> blood.
I beg to differ here. There are many foundation Appy breeders that are
attempting to both
recover the essense of the original appy (tough, small, great feet, good
endurance), and breed
out all the damaging QH bloodlines. Before people jump down my throat about
this, I'll say there
are some very good working QH bloodlines, however, the disaster in THAT
breed during the
70's and 80's halter trend to encourage these huge, muscle bound animals
with tiny feet, that had no performance ability at allt.....was also
inflicted on the Appy as the fad developed in that breed also. In the 90's.
the appy breed was also infected with Impressive bloodlines.......many
appy's now are merely halter QH's with spots....

My comment "many, if not most people" refers to the horse people in general, not to Appy breeders, who obviously prefer Appys. My comments were in reference to the running QH in particular and not to the poor performing horses you refer to. I don't believe that Impressive was ranked as a race horse.

Learn how to choose, serve, and enjoy wine at Wine @ MSN. http://wine.msn.com/