RE: [RC] thoroughbreds and endurance??? - eznet

 My family rides thoroughbreds and TB crosses almost exclusively. I'm the only one with an Arab. All my appy's are 1/2 TB. They pace differently, but they go, they finish, sometimes they top ten. Zanilla won once. Cold Spring Harbor ( a Northern Dancer granddaughter ) was top junior horse in the NE in 2003. If I happen to be within 2 miles of the finish and in a position to race I would rather be on Zanilla than any Arab in the world.
  Not all TBs have bad feet. Our old TB stallion , Tingle Tern, went barefoot most of the time. So do his Appy offspring. That said the current 3 endurance TBs in our string all have patches on their feet. Good luck with your new horse.  Libby
-----Original Message-----
From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Elkenchild@xxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, January 17, 2004 9:01 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] thoroughbreds and endurance???

Hello! I just recieved my appy mare's papers and she has a lot of famous thoroughbred and quarterhorse racehorses in her background, which I am excited about! But I am wondering how that will relate to endurance?? Thoroughbreds are sprinters with more slow twitch muscles and notoriously bad feet. Do people ever ride crosses or purebreds for endurance? They certainly are ideal for 3 day eventing as an athletic sport.

Laura
"Drop kick me Jesus, through the goal posts of life."