RE: [RC] [RC] thoroughbreds and endurance??? - Homer Safferwiffle

Hello! I just recieved my appy mare's papers and she has a lot of famous
thoroughbred and quarterhorse racehorses in her background, which I am excited
about! But I am wondering how that will relate to endurance?? Thoroughbreds are
sprinters with more slow twitch muscles and notoriously bad feet. Do people
ever ride crosses or purebreds for endurance? They certainly are ideal for 3 day
eventing as an athletic sport.

Up until sometime in the 1940's the New York Jockey Club (who handles registry of throughbreds) was open to Arabians. That meant that any TB bred to any Arabian was eligible for registery as a Thoroughbred. There was a horse in western Colorado, named Gudea, owned by Tom Miller, presently of Red Bluff California, who was registered as both a Thoroughbred and an Arabian. Western Horseman did an article on his death in the sixties. So, there are TB's and QH's bred in the late sixties that were in fact half Arabians. The TB comes from the Darley Arabian, the Byerly? Turk and the Godolphin Barb. The Blood Horse Magazine and/or the Thoroughbred Record ran an article in the late sixties or early seventies that the last Barb decendant had died (In Nebraska, I believe) and that the remaining TB's in the US were all decendants of the Darley Arabian, making them pure Arabians bred for relatively short distance racing. Many, if not most TB's bred today are "sprinters", being bred to race under a mile. The classic distance horses that run the longer routes and "classic" distances are much more expensive. The thoroughbreds that would be best suited for endurance racing are also the most expensive and expensive in terms of TB's is waaaaaaay beyond the reach of most horse people in endurance riding. TB x Arabian crosses are called Anglo Arabians and many of them have done well on the endurance trail in the past.
Racing QH's are TB's bred to race less than 870 yards, with the most popular distance being 350 yards. Obviously different requirements than endurance needs. Working QH's are bred to do rodeo type events which require entirely different muscles and bone structure than Endurance. Arabians were bred for years primarily as a war horse and those requirements are similar to what we do today with endurance riding.
The TB and Running QH blood in your Appy would be looked upon as an asset by many, if not most people. Many would prefer the TB/QH blood over the Appy blood.
HS