RE: [RC] [RC] re: trailer ties & hay bags - Laurie Durgin

A note on hay bags// We learned in pony club how to tie hay bags so they won't droop as they empty. You run the tie through the bottom of the bag , after you fill it, then you pull it up tight and tie.That way the bottom doesn't sage down to the ground, it just sort of folds in half.
They also made us buya nd use bcotton haybags as opposed to nylon (poly?) and to use a cotton rope to tie instead of poly. Less burns supposedly . Laurie

From: DreamWeaver <nvrider@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Cindy Collins" <ccollins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   re: trailer ties & hay bags
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 12:37:37 -0800

Also, I love the way Karen has her hay bags set up.  I use the same bags,
but I do have one mare who paws at them and I have to keep them high
enough for her not to get her foot caught in them (which she did in the
trailer and it was ugly!).  Just some thoughts.  Cindy

Cindy -- one of my horses used to put his foot thru the haybags in the trailer as well, but he hasn't done it outside of the trailer. He really liked to do it if the bag was brand new (just ask Tammy how many haybags she's repaired for me <g>). I think that why it works outside is that I had been hanging these bags (or other types of haybags) on the hitching posts for years, that way the horses got into the routine of having hay in front of them while I tacked them up, and after returning from being ridden. The haybags were low there, the bottoms often would sit on the ground. So when I got the new trailer I came up with the idea of mounting the bags lower down in part because I figured that they worked well on the hitching posts, but also because I didn't want to have the new trailer get all scratched up. As it turned out, it worked better than I expected. I just didn't want you to assume that if your horse had a problem inside the trailer that she would for certain have one outside, she might not. There will be horses that this won't work for.

Rethink your business approach for the new year with the helpful tips here. http://special.msn.com/bcentral/prep04.armx