Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2004 12:16 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Arabian Horse Numbers

>  It is difficult to
> breed for what others want.  Yrs ago read an article that said one
> should breed for what one likes.  In US, there are just a lot of people
> with a lot of different likes.

My experience is that if I breed horses that *I* would care to ride, there
are others who will appreciate riding them as well.  The problem comes
with breeding "living art"--then it does become much more a matter of
taste, and much less a matter of the ability to do a job.

> As a matter of fact, there is a movie out:  In Pursuit of Virtue, which
> is about the transition of the Army from horses to motorized vehicles.
> Won't say anymore as it is a movie worth the watching, especially on
> rainy days.  BTW, when WWII started the US Army was still using horse
> drawn equipment, as well as most of the European countries.

Actually, the movie is called "In Pursuit of Honor"--and I agree it is a
"must watch."  Fabulous movie, some terrific photography, and based on a
true incident.  Not one of the US Army's finest hours, but certainly some
of the US Cavalry's finest men...  I re-watch this movie every few months,
just on general principle...

Heidi