Re: [RC] Weather Change Colic - heidi

Theory:

Weather goes from hot to cool or cold.  Even working, horses not as
thirsty.  Drinking goes down.  Hind gut gets dry as body uses up the
water, due in part to decreased intake.  = Colic.

Vets (many I have spoken with) say the # of Colic's increases in
September.....Sudden Weather changes to the cooler?  I try to add
VERY WET beet pulp at that time, Just to add moisture when they might
slow down their drinking.

JMHO....
Becky and the gang

Becky and others who have mentioned weather are likely right on the money
on this one.  Even WITHOUT being ridden, the weather changes that we see
in the fall are usually accompanied by an increase in the number of
colics.  And yep, Becky is right that the horses simply have an abrupt
change in their drinking pattern.

Steph mentioned cold water--on cold days, this can be an issue that
contributes considerably.  They don't seem to mind the cold water as much
when it is really hot out, but studies of winter water consumption have
pretty clearly shown that simply raising the water temperature will
greatly increase consumption of water in cold weather.

Impaction could certainly cause some reflux if the entire gut has slowed
down--although like Angie, if there is very much reflux, I'd also be
curious to know if the horses are on daily dewormer, and if the attending
vets felt that the reflux was due to anterior enteritis or to impaction.

Heidi