[RC] Over population of crappy horses - katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jonni said:

But if some of them were geldings, we would not have an over population
of crappy horses, that have no sale value, and end up at the killers.

And Heidi replied:

That's a nice line, but it is the irresponsibility of the folks
who OWN the stallions who make that happen.

To which I respond:

That?s a nice line too, but it is the irresponsibility of the folds who own
the MARES who make that happen.

Since it is the person responsible for the mare (whether owner or lessor)
that makes any breeding decisions (and, BTW: is considered the ?breeder? by
all registries) and since the number of foals born is entirely a function
of the number of mares bred not the number of stallions bred,
responsibility for the overpopulation of horses, crappy or not, can be laid
entirely at the feet of mare owners.

The crappiest stallion in the world doesn?t need to be a gelding to keep
from siring foals; he just needs to not be selected as breeding stock by
the people who own mares.

I will admit that as a stallion owner, I am choosy about the mares I am
willing to put him to and will not breed him to any mare that I don?t think
will produce a foal that has an excellent chance of having a good home for
its entire life, but I am also sick and tired of the fallacious argument
that the over population of crappy horses has anything to do with the
number of stallions available.

The population of horses is ENTIRELY a function of the number of mares
being BRED (not a function of the number of mares available) and just as
mares do not need to be spayed to be removed from the gene pool, stallions
don?t need to be either.

The argument for gelding a stallion should have nothing to do with the
general overpopulation of horses since it is a possible to not breed a
stallion as it is to not breed a mare.  You certainly don't hear people
advocating the spaying of all mares that aren't considered breeding quality
just so she can't be bred by an irresponsible person.

The argument for neutering a stallion is that the operation is fairly cheap
and easy and for most people in most situations stallions are much easier
to house and handle as well as likely to have happier lives, and if you
don't intend to breed the horse, there aren't very many reasons not to.

The argument for not automatically neutering every non-breeding quality
mare is that the operation is not cheap and easy, nor is there very much
evidence that it has much of an effect on their handling.  However, if I
wanted  good socialization for my stallion, I would keep him with a spayed
mare so it is too bad that there aren't more of them out there. :)

kat
Orange County, Calif.

http://mail2web.com/ .