Re: [RC] Over population of crappy horses - heidi

Jonni said:

But if some of them were geldings, we would not have an over
population of crappy horses, that have no sale value, and end up at
the killers.

And Heidi replied:

That's a nice line, but it is the irresponsibility of the folks
who OWN the stallions who make that happen.

To which I respond:

That?s a nice line too, but it is the irresponsibility of the folds who
own the MARES who make that happen.

You're right, kat.  The concept that an empty uterus must be filled with
sperm and bear a foal is the REAL bottom line.

The crappiest stallion in the world doesn?t need to be a gelding to keep
from siring foals; he just needs to not be selected as breeding stock by
the people who own mares.

And even good stallions should not be over-used--just bred to the mares
with whom they will cross the best.

I will admit that as a stallion owner, I am choosy about the mares I am
willing to put him to and will not breed him to any mare that I don?t
think will produce a foal that has an excellent chance of having a good
home for its entire life, but I am also sick and tired of the fallacious
argument that the over population of crappy horses has anything to do
with the number of stallions available.

Which was my point, actually.  It has nothing to do with whether or not
they are gelded--it has to do with the selection that goes into the
breeding process.

Heidi