[RC] shoes with pads - Laura Hayes

In response to the question regarding shoes with pads and whether to cut holes in them....we had holes in the pads at the World Games in Spain, and were prepared (at least on Wave) to syringe the pad out at each check.  It worked fine for us, but others had some trouble, of course no one was expecting the horrid soupy mud we got when it poured just hours before  the start, and then all day (5% chance of rain in Spain in September--HA!)

My strategy at home (lots of mud) is to put a pad on if I have to, and then cut it away after the ride leaving just a rim to avoid softening of the sole due to no air flow.  I have never had problems with stuff getting under there and causing lameness - lots of blame is laid on 'stuff under the pads' that I think is unfounded-most horses don't have space enough for much 'stuff' between a pad and the sole...just my opinion.

I do like the idea someone posted from the archives about cutting a peace symbol in the pad to protect the sole, yet let it 'breath'

Laura Hayes AERC#2741