Re: [RC] truck stops vs rest stops - heidi

One of my most scary recent experiences happened in the Tendoy, ID area.
The road there is a moderately traveled nice 2 lane.  No problem, until
I came upon  3 large implements of husbandry, with  little space between
them, going about 25 mph.  Because I was pulling a LQ trailer I could
not find a clear enough space to pass all three, and there was not
enough space between to pass one at a time.

This, of course, did not stop suicidal persons from passing all 4 of us
in no passing zones.  After about 20 miles, I finally found a spot where
I could see the road for miles and was able to pass.  What a relief.

The moral is:  If you can't go the speed that the traffic wants to go,
you will find an increased risk of an accident.

Amen, Ed!  You must have been not too far behind us, as we encountered the
same "implements of husbandry" up above Leadore.  I couldn't for the life
of me figure out what they were doing here, as we don't have any grain to
harvest in this area...  Oh, well.  We did manage to get between the last
one and the middle one on a "first pass" but they sure weren't allowing
much space for traffic in between themselves.

You and Dot are right--when slow rigs travel in convoy, they need to SPACE
OUT so that folks can work their way through the line safely.  And that
included folks pulling horse trailers at lesser speeds than the ambient
traffic.

Heidi