Re: [RC] shoeing/trimming philosphies - heidi

In my opinion, it is important to balance the boney column when
trimming/shoeing.  To do that the pastern axis needs to be on the same
plane as the dorsal hoof wall.  The other thing I pay attention to is
keeping the frogs touching the ground.  Doing this puts the heel at the
correct height (unless the frog is atrophied and not healthy).  The last
thing I do is to ensure there is no flaring of the hoof wall.  Flaring
causes leveraging which can destroy a tight laminar connection between
the hoof wall and the coffin bone.  And, of course medial lateral
balance is crucial as well.

There is good evidence that an acute hoof wall (which creates a broken
back pastern axis) will lead to navicular syndrome.  Certainly, if the
boney column is out of alignment it will stress the ligaments that hold
the bones together as well as the deep digital flexor tendon.

Karen is right about keeping the axis of the phalanges in line, and
keeping the entire foot balanced.

A good farrier doesn't just subscribe to a "method"--he/she is able to
LOOK at the foot and understand how to best achieve balance for THAT foot
on THAT horse.

The two horses I'm riding right now have very different feet.  One is
well-balanced with his fronts at about 57 degrees, and the other is
balanced with his fronts at about 49 degrees.  Both have good heels, nice
round healthy hoof walls, and good soles and frogs.  But the two horses
are built totally differently, and are each "shod to themselves."  The
horse hubby is currently riding is in between--but is also shod to
himself.  Shoeing the horse as an extension of what HIS normal feet ought
to be is the key.

Heidi