Re: [RC] shoeing/trimming philosphies - Alice Yovich

Wow! Thanks so much for this information. I had no idea that the Bergy and the NB were so similar and yet so different.

For the record (again, not to start a debate) I typically don't shoe as I haven't had much need to shoe. (I am not anti-shoes) My horse has really, really fine feet and it's my plan to mainly keep her barefoot and then boot when necessary. (I finally bought my first set of boots, but haven't practiced using them yet) However, her toes are so stretched out right now and she can't seem to maintain the trim for very long, plus my farrier was unwilling to trim her shorter unless he put shoes on her, so I was going to shoe this time. I also have a ride that is rocky enough to justify some sort of hoof protection and in this case shoes seemed to be the way to go. I'm learning the trimming methods b/c I feel like I can do them myself. I'm not sure yet if I can or will learn to shoe in the future. I'm taking it one step at a time.

My own farrier is a natural balance farrier, but he wouldn't give me a natural balance trim. Not sure what's up with that. He says that he will never trim her back as short as I like unless I'm going to put shoes on her. This whole conversation with my current farrier is why I got the idea to go to a trimming class and at least learn about it so I could make a better decision for my future.

The Bergy farrier I talked to said that b/c her toes are so long, he will have shoe her 2-3 cycles to get her where she needs to be and then she can go barefoot again.

I had no idea that the Jackson/Ramey trimming method might leave me with nothing to nail to in the future. This could be a problem when I need shoes.

thanks for the great website as well.