Re: [RC] Tennessee Hurricane/generators - Truman Prevatt

FL has a wet season,  about mid June through mid Sept - where we get most of our rain. We can get a foot of rain in a day here without much problem - with or without a hurricane. In Oct it pretty much dires up and Feb, March, April and May can be bone dry. Many a year people are doing rain dances in early May. During the dry season is when we have fire problems. Most of the public lands practice controlled burns to keep the fire problem down, but we still do have problems with fires in the spring. There is a lot of both public and private timber land in FL. In 98 a large portion of east central FL had to be evacuated becasue of the fires. While it was on the east side of the state I could smell the smoke 150 miles away on the west side of the state. The Everglades typically have large fires in the spring. Most of the fires are lightning set. Like parts of the west much of the ecology of FL was shaped by fire and water. FL has a unique varity of pine tree that like the lodgepole pine requires fire to open the cones and drop the seeds.

As far as gators on the trail, I've only seen a couple in 20 years down here. The biggest thrill is when you are riding along a ditch and a big gator jumps in - makes quite a splash and even the calmest horse will have dish pan sized eyes. I've only seen one on an endurance trail. He was sunning himself in a forest service road. His tail was at one edge of the road, the tip of his snoot at the other edge. The trail came out of the woods, went down the road for a short distance and back into the woods. Three of us came out saw it, though it was a log - big log. Two of us jumped it. The third rider screamed at her horse to stop. The gator had started to move off the road.

The gators won't bother you - they are more afraid of you than you of them.

Truman

abigail Madden wrote:
Interesting.  So, FL dries out over the winter months?  You don't get much rain then?  Forgive my ignorance, I'm just curious.  I've only travelled east of the Sierras once in my 35 yrs. and am not very well informed on the weather patterns in the southern US.  Are you serious about there being forest fires in April in FL?  What a very interesting world we live in.  Here in N.CA not much worry for a serious forest fire in April (most years).  Everything is still so wet and in some places there is still snow on the ground just an hour from where I live, and I'm at 125' elevation.  In fact, the fire danger was so low in April this year that friends had a barbeque/party where they touched off a brush pile that was approx. 30' wide by 15' high in a field with 2' of grass.  It was still so wet you couldn't sit down without getting soaked. (Was actually neat to see as they dumped about 5 gals of diesel on it and then fired a flare gun at it.  They are all firemen ........pyros at heart).  Try that now and you'd burn down half the county.....or more.  Anyway, I think I've had too much red wine, (but its a very nice Cabernet from BC) as I sit here and imagine what it would be like to ride my ponies in such a different environment.  Maybe in a few years traveling will be a possibility.  I think I would very much like to come to Florida and ride.  Unless you really do see alligators on the trails as Howard says.  If so, don't tell me about it until after I get there.  : )

abigail
Chico, CA

--
"It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis

   "It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis.

    It is necessary to be exalted, and yet take modesty as a foundation."