[RC] Equine poetry...nice piece - Maryanne Stroud Gabbani

I know that I can be counted on to wander off on tangents, but here is one for the poetry freaks among us. A while back a friend put me onto the Writer's Almanac () which features a poem every day and some interesting comments on history and writers. Today's poem seemed destined for my two favourite horse lists because I think that there are alot of people to appreciate it.

Enjoy.

Maryanne
Cairo

Poem:
"Not Moving Even One Step" by Jane Hirshfield, from The Lives of the Heart © Harper Perennial, 1997. Reprinted with permission. ( buy now )

Not Moving Even One Step

The rain falling too lightly to shape
an audible house, an audible tree,
blind, soaking, the old horse waits in his pasture.

He knows the field for exactly what it is:
his limitless mare, his beloved.
Even the mallards sleep in her red body maned
in thistles, hooved in the new green shallows of spring.

Slow rain streams from the fetlocks, hips, the lowered head,
while she stands in the place beside him that no one sees.

The muzzles almost touch.
How silently the heart pivots on its hinge.