[RC] shoeing/trimming philosphies - Alice Yovich

I'm wondering how you guys who do long rides prefer to do your horses' feet. This is not a barefoot/shoe question, but a philosophical question. is there a prevailing type of shoeing people like. For example, my favorite shoeing job that my horse ever had was done by a farrier in East Texas who follows the Lyle "Bergy" Bergeleen method. She moved great. I brought her home and have tried for a year to get my farrier to trim my mare shorter or shoe her shorter, and he has flat refused saying that the way she was done was just plain "wrong" After an unfortunate stumbling incident last night (only five weeks since was trimmed and she's been stumbling for 2 weeks already) I've decided to look for another farrier, and I'm looking for one trained in this method. I think i've found one and I'm in the process of getting an appointment.

What I wonder is: do "dressage people" and "endurance people" do their horses' feet differently? Am I experiencing a fundamental difference in expectation and philosophy with my current farrier? The other women at our barn, who all do just dressage, as opposed to a combination of both, as I do, think he's just the cat's meow and it seems to me that I've been struggling for 2 years to get her feet done properly and the toe just gets longer and longer. Two years ago, I rarely even considered shoeing, but now he take off so little and she grows so much that she's falling all over herself. The farrier says he can't trim her shorter unless he shoes her, which is not necessarily true.

anyway, i'm not interested in a shoes/no shoes thread. I am curious about how your keep your horses' feet though, short, long, indifferent, etc.