Re: [RC] [RC] re: [RC] trailer flooring - Mary Ann Spencer - heidi

Am I the only old person who cannot drive 12-24 hours at a stretch?  I
can't do 700 miles, with or without horses.  With that in mind for the
more pathetic of the group, what do you all recommend for single women
to sleep with when hauling one or more horses?

I USED to be able to go 24 hours without an extra driver, but not anymore!
I'm still good for 15-16 hours, though, if I don't start out tired.  And
there again, by not taking a lot of time to get horses in and out of
trailers (since I am often alone, with multiple horses), I can give them
more rest on the other end than if I take an extra half-day or day to get
where I'm going because of all the rest stops.

If I DO have to do snooze time when I'm on the road alone, if I have my LQ
trailer and nowhere that is suitable to stop and unload, I just make sure
the hay bags and water buckets are full, and crawl right on into the LQ
and sleep.  Most of the time, even inexperienced haulers are comfortable
and quiet enough in the dark in the trailer, munching away, that I can get
some fairly decent rest this way.

If I'm NOT pulling the LQ trailer and I'm alone, I just sleep on the truck
seat.  I don't worry too much, because my big Mastiff is asleep in the
extended part of the cab when I do this.  And my preference if I have to
do this is to do it at a fairly busy truck stop, between a couple of big
rigs.  Nobody bothers you there...

Also, I tend not to let the grass grow under my rig when I'm driving.  One
of my "routine" trips is from here to Davis, CA--right at 850 miles.  Once
I get down to Wells, NV, it is freeway all the way, with Donner Pass being
the biggest impediment.  That run takes 15-16 hours, on average.  I used
to be able to just drive back home the same way the next day, but have
gotten to the point that I have to stop and sleep on one leg or the other
if I'm by myself.

Heidi