RE: [RC] re: [RC] trailer flooring - Mary Ann Spencer - Jim Holland

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I stop at LEAST every 3 hours and take
my horses off. Trailer loading and unloading should not be "stressful".  If
it is, IMHO you should practice it more.

Both Magic and Sunny enjoy the break, the fresh air, a chance to grab a bite
of grass, and look around at all the interesting "stuff".  They get treats,
scratching/brushing and provide a lot of pleasure to kids who come running
out of McDonalds' or wherever to see them, and we get to walk around as
well. They eat better, drink better, and once they learn the routine, will
wait for a takeoff to pee...and usually do it immediately.

We try to pick a big truck stop with a parking area in the back.  There is
usually a patch of grass, sometimes water, and usually a lot of friendly
truckers.  While the horse is grazing and stretching his legs, Joan and I
take turns going to the bathroom, pick up a coffee, newspaper, etc. We take
notes on every trip and remember the good take-off spots for next time.

We (and the horses) arrive more relaxed, less stressed, and enjoy the trip.
John Lyons once equated a horse trailer with "locking someone in a closet
and driving off with it".  Except in an emergency, there is no way I'm gonna
haul my horses more than a few hours without a take-off break.  Sitting in a
truck seat for long periods of time is no fun for me and I don't think
keeping his balance while standing in a horse trailer for long periods of
time is beneficial to the horse.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic

"The Horse" had a price on trailering awhile back.  The studies
they referred to found that the most stressful aspects of
trailering are loading and unloading, so they did not recommend
frequent rest stops to 'stretch their legs'.  They also advised
against shavings due to dust, and suggested straw instead, and
recommeded wetting hay fed in the trailer for the same reason.
The kitty-litter solution sounds like a good alternative, as
some brands have minimal dust.  They also advised as much air
circulation as possible: the more open, the better, and to tie
horses in a position that allows them to lower their heads so
they can more easily clear their sinuses.

I didn't answer the query by Dyane (I think it was Dyane) about this very
subject, but I agree with much of this.  The stress of loading and
unloading depends a great deal on how well versed your horse is in
trailering.  If he's a regular globe trotter who goes in and out
nonchalantly and who is unflappable about anywhere he happens to find
himself, then unloading occasionally has some benefit.  If this is not the
case, for gosh sakes, leave him in!
=-=-=