Re: [RC] Hauling- my humble opinion - Truman Prevatt

What I do that works for me was honed over several long trips, one FL to Utah, one FL to CO, one FL to Idaho and one FL to IN to WY. The routine is two days on one day off. On the driving days we drive 10 (up to 12 hours). We stop every two hours to change drivrs, every other stop for fuel. Each stop is about 20 minutes. During that time the horses get replinished with hay and get offered water. After two days of this we take a layover day. A layover day is at a stable, state park equine camping facility, etc. We've been doing this for years with four different horses and it seems to work for us. Myself I'd rather get to a spot where we are finsihed for the day and they can relax for the night in 8 hours rather than spending time getting them in and out and take 10 hourse to get to that point.

Truman

Laura Hayes wrote:
Having hauled both experienced horses and 'never been off the farm' horses across the country several times- including our 7000 mile XP adventure this summer (yes, we put 7000 miles on our truck, trailer and three mares in 6 weeks!) I can tell you that there is no one way to handle hauling. You need to look at your horse's abilities, your equipment restrictions, and your time and risk factors.

--
"It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis

   "It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis.

    It is necessary to be exalted, and yet take modesty as a foundation."