[RC] Hauling- my humble opinion - Laura Hayes

Having hauled both experienced horses and 'never been off the farm' horses across the country several times- including our 7000 mile XP adventure this summer (yes, we put 7000 miles on our truck, trailer and three mares in 6 weeks!) I can tell you that there is no one way to handle hauling. You need to look at your horse's abilities, your equipment restrictions, and your time and risk factors.

When Cia Reis and I went to Pan Ams last year (2400 miles one way) we traveled 400 miles each day and stopped at night, actually riding the horses 5 or 6 miles every evening.  It worked great and was the optimum way to travel with a horse- obviously it worked- she WON!  BUT, it was labor intensive and only possible IF you have a TON of time.

On the way to Nevada to start XP (2700 miles one way) we drove 8 or 9 hours every day and stopped at night at spots that had corrals.  We did stop to water the horses several times aday, and took extended (40 mins or more) breaks so that they could stand still.  We did not once, take the mares off the trailer during the day.  Cruel?  I don't think they suffered, but the bottom line was that our 18 year old 'mothership' had only an 8x10 foot box in the back and the mares were tied sideways in that.  With only two handlers and three 'joined at the hip' mares' we would be asking for trouble if we tried to take one or more out in a truckstop parking area. They were deeply bedded and had hay in front of them at all times.  They did not suffer a bit- doing 900+ miles between them at XP, gaining wt along the way and staying sound (I am pretty certain I am the only rider to finish with THREE sound horses).  BTW, they also stood tied to that trailer for the duration of the ride and learned to sleep and get along fine.  They are more bonded to me than any horses I have ever had...

When hauling new, green, and fairly uncivilized horses home from Denver (1800 miles) last winter, we bedded them in the slant load, put hay and water in front of them and hauled ass home to NY by taking driving shifts and going straight through. We did stop for periods of an hour or so every few hours to let them stand still.  It may have been suicide to try to load and unload these horses anywhere but in our barnyard.  They too, suffered no wt loss, no colic and little anxiety.  We obviously were not expecting them to participate in an athletic event when we arrived!

Like Karen, I have found that my horses do best when I haul straight through to a ride and they have a day to recover and go for a little ride.

All just my opinion---There IS more than one way to skin a cat, you know.

Laura Hayes AERC#2741