Re: [RC] [RC] FEI and 100 mile competitions - heidi

It seems to me that there is a significant difference in character
between the FEI rides and the classic 100s.  The classic 100s are
generally big loop or point-to-point rides whereas the FEI rides seem to
be many short loops out of camp.  The only similarity is the distance.
It would be hard to make a movie like Hildalgo, fiction or not, about
six loops out of camp.

Actually, Tom, a great many FEI rides have been 100-mile loops as well.
Some FEI 100-mile loops that come to mind are the 1993 NAC at Kannanaskis,
the 1995 NAC at Flagstaff, the 1996 WEC in Kansas, and the 1997 PAC at
Bend, Oregon.  (I chaired the OC for the last one, and had the exciting
challenge of designing the course!)

It takes a lot of dedication and work to put on a classic trail 100 and
sometimes the amenities may be lacking.  The rugged character of a
classic trail 100 may deter some riders, but the best parts of endurance
riding, the trail and the companionship with your horse can be found in
abundance.

I agree--which is why I chose to do a 100-mile loop for a PAC as well.
Part of the challenge is arranging to provide for some of the amenities
(which are practically necessities for FEI) in more remote locations.  You
are right that it requires a lot of dedication and hard work--but for
those of us who enjoy course design, putting on such an event is a thrill
and a challenge equal to or perhaps even more exciting than riding one.
And I'm probably nuts, but I'd love to do it again--and if I do, you can
bet your bottom dollar it will be a 100-mile loop.  :-)

The 100s are open to everyone, but it takes some courage to start a
classic trail 100.  When you and your horse toe the line of a classic
trail 100, you can look around and know that you are among a small group
of rough riders and tough horses.

Yes, but I do think that it is up to management of such events to have
SOME plan for evacuating pulled horses from remote areas, etc., so that
even though it takes more planning, courage, and forethought, it is still
a "do-able" thing for many riders.  (Tevis certainly does this, as have
the FEI courses that have been 100-mile loops.  I think that sort of
attention to detail is part of what puts the "class" in a class event.)

The wonder and awe of being out on the trail at night with a strong
horse and the company of the moon and the stars, after riding all day
long, with miles still to go, is an experience that I'll never forget.

I agree, Tom, and I'm sure looking forward to getting back to being able
to do 100s again in my "second incarnation" as a rider, as such memories
were some of the most precious parts of my "first incarnation."

So, for all you folks that haven't done a classic trail 100 recently,
please remember what my wife Leslie said to me at Jacks Creek in
Wyoming, "Frank sure looks a whole lot better at 75 miles than you ever
did."

Toooo funny!  But probably true!  <g>  (Having seen a whole lot of
horse-rider teams vetting through at that point, it's true of the vast
majority...  ;-) )

Heidi