[RC] Center Fire Rigging & hauling long distances - Karen

http://webpages.charter.net/nvrider/rigging.html Here are some pics of how I have one of my sports saddles rigged. The straps used are 42" biothane straps, and it is attached to the rear D ring. Then comes down thru the cinch, up thru the first D ring, back down thru the cinch and buckled. I've been using this type of rigging for years now and it has been working on all of my horses. From sportack.com

Re: hauling long distances -- something I do fairly regularly often by myself and with two horses. I have found that if I am going to haul 600 to 700 miles one way that my horses respond better to being hauled that entire distance in one day, so I leave a day early so that once I do get to the ride they have a day to rest. That seems to work better for them than if I were to take 2 days to get there. By not staying overnight in strange places I also reduce the likelihood that they might pick something up at the rodeo grounds, fairgrounds, etc. No matter how prepared, cautious, whatever---you think you are, when you are alone and trying to handle two horses by yourself you've still got to be very very careful. I do also like to let my horses out every 3 or 4 hours so that they can urinate, graze, drink, etc. The horses have mangers and can have buckets of water, hay, soaked beet pulp, carrots, apples available to them at all times. I don't tie my horses in the trailer so they are able to get their heads down and often will put hay on the ground for them so they can eat that way, especially when I am stopped for gas or in road construction. Before going on a long distance trip I feed the horses all the hay they can eat the week before, along with lots of soaked beet pulp and salt/elytes. That way they are well hydrated before beginning the trip and that goes a long way to ensuring that they start their rides with full tanks. I don't use shavings in the trailer. They just collect dust and I don't have it in me to clean shavings out of the trailer after every single trip. By letting them out regularly enough, they will urinate outside of the trailer and on the few occasions that they don't wait to get let out, it just simply drains out and then dries. I also use each stop to clean the manure out so that they are standing on a clean floor. After each trip I use a pressure washer on the WERM floor (solid permanent) and the mangers. Be careful out there when hauling alone, or even if you are with somebody, especially at night in the middle of nowhere -- best to wait till you get to a well lighted place before unloading.

Karen
in NV