Re: [RC] FEI and 100 mile competitions - Karen

At 06:25 PM 9/16/2004, you wrote:
Point to point rides, other than the 1,000 to 2,000 mile XP rides are dead in the water before they ever start, because few riders are interested in having to find a crew/driver.  And I don't think many riders are very interested in the historical significance of trail routes.....they just want to ride.

Hi Barbara:  There are less and less point to point rides all the time.  We still have two in the Pacific South Region at least -- Silver State Point to Point, and Death Valley Encounter.  Granted, DVE has been made a bit easier by not having to move camp every single day, such as the last day being one (slightly over) 50 mile loop back to Panamint Springs.

There still are a lot of riders out there who are totally enthralled with the history of some of the trails we ride on!!  The one thing that sets apart all of the point to point rides versus one basecamp rides on the multidays is that the P2P ones have all been an adventure.  There is so much more to be learned and experienced on those kinds of rides.  I would love to see rides again like Applegate Lassen.   It doesn't look like that will ever happen, the likelihood of any type of competitive event happening in the protected Black Rock Desert areas probably put an end to endurance rides thru there ever again. Long XP's are probably a thing of the past too.  Outlaw Trail.  boy, we have lost some great ones.  :+/

Karen
in NV