Re: [RC] FEI and 100 mile competitions - Truman Prevatt

Karen,

Why do you thing jr participation is going down? Does it have to do with the general decrease since they have difficulty in getting sponsors? The more I ponder this the more I think the "multiday" rides have cut into the 100's for the "average" rider that wants more than a 50 but isn't interested in FEI.  The correlation ( and you have to be very careful not to read too much into correlations because this is not a controlled experiment) between the rise of multidays and decline in one day 100's is startling.

Truman

Karen wrote:
I down loaded all the 100 data some time back and have started a couple time to look at it, but haven't managed to finish. At the top level 100 mile ride participation has declined steadly - almost at a linear rate between '96 through 2003. The number of rides and the number of riders has decreased. At the same time the membership has increased by 50%.

There has also been a dramatic decline in the # of juniors entering #'s, while they membership has increased:  http://aerc.org/Ed_Max_Junior.asp  (scan down to bottom of page to see stats)

The National Championship ride has been moved to June:  http://www.doublejoy.com/erol/Calendar/RideDetails.asp?rideID=3408  in 2005.  Now is probably a good time to point out to West region riders that the only 100 in our region between now and the next NC ride is Virginia City 100, which is this coming weekend - September 18th.  If you aren't already qualified for the 100 mile distance and want to be, this is your only opportunity unless you are willing to go out of the region, probably to 20 Mule Team in February in the PS region.

Karen
in NV

--
"It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis

   "It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis.

    It is necessary to be exalted, and yet take modesty as a foundation."