Re: [RC] FEI and 100 mile competitions - DreamWeaver

In some ways I think that there are cycles, and periods where people go thru horses and have to start over so there may be a lag between the time that they have a 100 mile horse or not. Though, that doesn't really explain all of the drop. Certainly multidays are popular among families that have children because they are easier to manage from the parents' perspective -- yet on the multidays I go to there are only a small handful of junior riders on any given ride, and usually those same kids are the few left riding 100's. We sure aren't having very many juniors entering 100's this year, tho we have got several who want to, or have plans to because they want to win the award blanket that is now available (unofficially) to any junior who completes two one day 100's on the same horse within a one year period.

People need goals and reasons to face a challenge. They don't necessarily care about whatever the item is that they receive for meeting that goal, but I know that people do like to have a purpose, something that drives them to do something. Lots of people I know won't go to an FEI ride, so while it may gain some riders who do like them, it's losing riders as well. Since I have sponsored a junior on an FEI 100, it is not something that I would recommend, or something that I would ever want to do again. It's just not the best environment for a kid, but that's just my opinion. At least not ones that are doing their first 100. Everybody gets too tense, serious, uptight and bent out of shape at those rides. Fun? ha

Most of the regular multiday riders also ride 100's, a good multiday horse can usually breeze thru 100's so the two types of rides can compliment each other if used right. Many of those on the WEC list are multiday riders/horses. I think that people go to multidays and see how much fun they are, ride in great country without having to repeat trail over and over and if they do all 5 days on the same horse they will get an embroidered jacket that is as nice as the year end regional awards aerc gives out -- 100 milers who just ride to complete don't really get anything other than a regular completion award (but, you do get the personal satisfaction of having done it, which once you have you want to do it again usually), and at all of the 100's I've done except for Tevis and Virginia City, the awards given to the 100 milers are the same awards the 25 milers get. We are a lazy society, and if somebody can get the same award and recognition for doing 25 miles over 100, well......what are ya gonna do?

The more recognition we give to the shorter distances, the more 100 mile participation will decline, I am afraid.

Karen
in NV