Re: [RC] FEI and 100 mile competitions - Truman Prevatt

Barbara,

I think it might be lifestyle. Many riders today don't have the ability to find a driver and/or crew for point to point. Many want - and look to the multiday - as a vacation someplace to relax from the grind so why add another grind of moving a trailer every day. Yes I think the historic significance of the trails are lost on many, but again they may be looking for something else out of riding their horse and don't feel they need to ride the trails to appreciate the historic significance and the necessity of preserving the trails.

I used to have a lot more time than I do now - why I can't tell you. I tried to semi-retire to about 1/2 time in 2000 and along comes 9/11 and I'm working more hours than before I was working full time. Billing the hours is great - it is the working them that sucks. I have less time to ride than before I tried to semi-retire and many people don't have as much time to ride as I do - since my schedule is fairly flexible and I live right by a good riding area - although it has a few trees down now. The world is just faster and I don't look to the sport to make it even more hectic. I suspect a lot of people are in the same boat - they want to realx and unwind with their horses on rides.

The multidays rides fit nicely into that model - the 100's don't becasue they do require a commitment. They do require specific schedules to be met and they do require long drives to rides. Today it's even worse since the number of 100's have declined. I can head out for a multiday ride and if necessary hop on a plane and be someplace for work and then back on a plane and get some riding in. My wife can be at the site and enjoy it. I can't do that for a 100.

I for one do not have the available time to make a commintment to 100's, my schedule is too flaky and God only knows my customers are even moreso. I suspect that more people are in that boat today than in the past.

Truman

Barbara McCrary wrote:
I think you have something here, Truman.  I know WE like multi-day rides.....we used to attend a few quite faithfully.  There are so many available now.....  I personally would rather ride five 50s in a row than one 100.  More scenery, more total mileage, less fatigue for me and the horse.....  Unfortunately, not all of us have enough terrain to put on a multi-day ride.  And of course there is the issue of point to point vs. base camp, daisy-petal rides.  Point to point rides, other than the 1,000 to 2,000 mile XP rides are dead in the water before they ever start, because few riders are interested in having to find a crew/driver.  And I don't think many riders are very interested in the historical significance of trail routes.....they just want to ride.

Barbara

--
"It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis

   "It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis.

    It is necessary to be exalted, and yet take modesty as a foundation."