Re: [RC] FEI and 100 mile competitions - rides2far

In 2003 if you exclude the non-AERC members from the count, a little
over half (like 51%) of the 100 mile starts were AERC Int members.

I think you're insinuating that only AERC Int. members are interested in
100's. I think it means only 100 milers are interested in AERC Int.

I don't think > the > membership in AERC Int has grown at the same
rate as the overall
AERC > membership.

I think people have installed a fear of 100's in beginners.  We've spent
so much time putting the fear of God in them that we've convinced them
they've got to buy a horse with the perfect lines, raise him on 100 acres
running free, walk him for the first 2 years, Start him on Adequan in
utero, hook him up to heart monitors, thermometers, GPS's, & cell phones.
Have a custom fitted $2500.00 saddle which is re-fitted every 6 months
(at the same time he gets his $100 dental checkup, chiropractic
adjustment etc. etc. etc. I don't know if those of us who have already
done them are just trying to scare everyone else off to make ourselves
feel like we're something or what. I see people posting their training
schedule for a 25 that's tougher than many 100 mile competitiors I
know...and they're terrified their horse won't be ready.

Meanwhile check the juniors. I'm amazed how many of them are doing 100's
right off the bat. My daughter is appalled that she's being left behind
and calls her new 4 year old her "Pan Am Horse".  I think there's going
to be a ripple effect when some of the 50's who are very good at what
they do and have been contented to do 50's for years so long as their
friends agree to stay in the 50's will be provoked into doing a 100 for
pride's sake after these little kids do it.

Back in 1988 or so when I managed the Tennessee 100 I believe the most
riders we ever had in a 100 was about 20. Biltmore took over our date and
now has around 70. I don't think riders would put up with the "quality"
of ride we put on back then, now. We didn't hang glow sticks. The trail
was marked with dark blue ribbons. I certainly never put any water out.
I'm not sure the timer would have noticed if somebody was missing. (I was
the timer one of those times). The standards for completion have been
raised which is good for the horses but it may make it a little harder to
fill a ride when you don't let marginal ones compete. It's been a long
time since I've heard a rider saying "He warms up out of it" but it used
to be pretty common.

I haven't done a 100 in 3 years. I haven't had a  horse that should do a
100 in 3 years. I bought both our new horses with 100 milers in mind.
When I was trying to explain our sport to my neice's new husband from the
Czech Republic we had to go through the "why don't you try to win"
discussion. Now that I'm starting a new horse and have to think over my
goals I realize they are very different from when I started my last one.
I've "won" (1st to finish) twice ever. At one time I thought that was a
goal I *really* wanted. I've gotten 2 BC's. I thought that was *the* goal
but now after what I've learned I'm scared to do what it takes to be
first...and you've gotta let it rip pretty good to have a shot at BC too.
I've got too much time invested. If it happened I sure wouldn't mind but
what I *really* want to do is have a horse do multiple 100's...at a good
pace. I could win year end awards with that which I'd like, and I might
have a horse that would last longer than he would doing fast 50's. It may
take awhile for all the new riders to work their way through all the
different "stages" of goals. I didn't start out wanting to do 100's much
but that's where I've ended up.

As to the FEI and international, that wasn't really my goal and I got
talked into it but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything in the
world. When I see one of my friends doing really well with a horse
they've brought along I encourage them to experience it. I honestly think
my extreme cautious nature made me wait too long to start doing 100's on
my horse and I wasted some of his better years. By the time we went
International he wasn't at his best but a couple of years earlier I think
he could have held his own with some of the better ones. I'm afraid it
may get more expensive than it was in 2001 and knock me out of it but if
it stays affordable I definately would like to do it again. Maybe Josie &
I will be the next Val & Danielle. HA!

I encourage others not to wait too long to do a 100 on your good horse.
My advice to everyone is look at the people finishing 100's. Are they
better than you? Is their horse better than yours? If not, quit saying
you can't do it and go for it. They aren't super human. You just go out
there and it happens.

Angie

Get your name as your email address.