RE: [RC] [RC] ? OT - Pasture Manners - Jim Holland

You bet, Stephanie!  When they are in the pasture by themselves, THEY sort
out their herd hierarchy.  In the presence of "DA BOSS", i.e...Me or Joan,
they BETTER be perfect ladies and gentlemen. We will accept nothing less and
ANY aggression toward us or another horse in our presence will get an
immediate "I'm gonna rip the meat off your bones". <grin> Just a "look"
should get a step back and an immediate response.

I'm sure I've told this story before, but some years ago, Sunny was pastured
with a large herd of brood mares in a LARGE pasture. If you showed up with a
halter, they all left for the hinterlands.  I had trained Sunny to come when
called.  After awhile, the mares began to see that Sunny got treats and
"scritching" when he came over.  A few at a time, they began to come over to
check it out and sample the treats. As the "herd" getting treats increased,
some "bickering" began to take place amongst the mares...so I started
showing up with a dressage whip.  Any mare who laid her ears back got chased
out to the perimeter..no treats!  This is how the "lead mare" deals with
young horses in a herd.  It didn't take long until they all stood around
politely in a circle awaiting their turn. I could catch any of them, since I
didn't pose a "threat" and they considered me "herd leader" when I was
there.

Bottom line, you BETTER be herd leader around your horses or you risk
serious injury.  IMHO, aggression toward a human or another horse in the
presence of a human is unacceptable under any circumstances.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic