Re: [RC] [RC] ? OT - Pasture Manners - RDCARRIE

You and everyone else who goes in the pasture need to do just what you did with
your gelding - don't tolerate any of that $#%@ when you or others are in among
the horses.  They need to learn to behave when people are among them.  They can
learn to mind their manners and their tempers while under saddle, and can do
the same in a herd situation when their people (who should be the alpha members
of the "herd") are present.  We have 6 horses who usually run together.  All
know to behave themselves when we're among them, except for our little Paso
Fino mare, who hates my young Arab gelding with a blind passion.  A moment of
inattention on my part, coupled with her behavior, cost me a broken elbow this
past Feb. when she suddenly swung her butt to kick at him and her hip knocked
me flying.  She's getting better, though, as we continue to really get after
her whenever she misbehaves toward him when we're in the pasture.  We don't hit
her - but we do bellow at her, advance threateningly toward her, etc. -
basically, our horses are more afraid of what they *think* we might do to them
(<G>) if they screw up than they are intent on inflicting damage, etc. on
subordinates.  Don't get me wrong - our horses are not afraid of us - they all
crowd around for cookies and hugs and scritches when we enter the pasture.  But
they darn sure know to behave themselves...even if one of us is right in the
middle of the whole herd handing out carrots.  I have a friend who REALLY has
the alpha mare act down to a "T" and every one of her horses snaps to attention
when she speaks.

Dawn in East Texas
?×?jjb±«®ø?z?Ä?Û«jw5ëa¶Úÿ0zwn­©Üzw­"wè®f­??Ï¢X?È8¬rV¢?êá¶Úÿ
0zwn­©Üzw­ý?yƦ¥+?±ÊâmïÔ?Ë?±Êâmèm¶?ÿÃ?Û«jw?ë®'^q©©þZ ¢v¬¥?xº'?©ÝF'^I§Þ