Re: [RC] dates- weird experience - Maryanne Stroud Gabbani

Over-ripe dates are like that. Ripe dates of certain varieties are crisp and crunchy. We are in the start of the harvest right now and, yes, there are dates of a million (well, there are over 600 actually) varieties all over the place. Amazing fruit. Even the dogs like them. But as far as I am aware, no one sprays dates for insects, and the crop depends on people having the time to do the tedious chore of climbing each tree to pollinate, prune, and check for pests. Probably the Iraqi's, for some odd reason, didn't have the time and/or manpower to do the job properly.

I hate walking in them too.

Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
Cairo, Egypt
www.alsorat.com

"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for" Louis L'Amour