Re: [RC] quarter horse neck - heidi

The  Middle East tends to be low in selenium, but it affects horses
differently. I have a mare who MUST have a selenium supplement, and I
take one too or I have permanently achy muscles. But the others are
fine. Arabs in the old days lived on a diet that contained dates and
dates are phenomenally rich in minerals, so that probably took care of
the deficiency.

Additionally, many horses (and other critters) survive on deficient diets.
They just don't develop optimally or perform optimally.

Although Carl Raswan isn't exactly the most reliable witness about many
things, one of his impressions when he went to the desert to look for his
fantasy Arabian horses, he was sorely disappointed.  But later he saw some
of the very same horses in a different environment, properly fed, and
realized that it wasn't the horses that had been disappointing--it was the
condition that they were in.  I'd suspect that a great many of the desert
horses not only had caloric deficiencies, but also less-than-ideal vitamin
and mineral content in their diets as well.  Having to survive such
deficiencies likely is one of the things that selected for the hardiest.

But yes, the dates probably helped, even if they didn't entirely solve the
problem....

Heidi