Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] Question re insulated metal roofs on barns - Ed & Wendy Hauser

Insulation in general should not change the accumulation of water in the
building.  The water will be removed through the roof vents and the general
air circulation.  To keep horses healthy, there has to be lots of air
circulation.  If you do not allow air circulation, the ammonia build up will
irritate the lungs and you will have problems.

If the building were to be very well insulated, but enough air circulation
provided, the temperatures would be very near the outside air temperature,
because the air movement will take the heat out.  Insulating the roof, I
suggest sprayed foam to keep the birds and rats at bay, will significantly
lower the afternoon temperature in hot sunny climates by preventing solar
heating.

On the balance, I would probably not insulate at all and if I were to be in
a very hot climate, and horses were stalled during the heat of the day, add
a permanently installed electric barn fan to provide lots of air movement.
I have seen breeze boxes used on stalls.  They give me cold shivers.
Extension cords, and curious horses are a recipe for fire and electrocuted
horses.

As far as the comment that morning condensation on the roof ruins the hay,
I'd bet that this was in a combined hay storage/stable and the source of the
moisture was the horses.  Again more ventilation would be my cure for this.

Ed

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875