RE: [RC] [RC] [RC] Question re insulated metal roofs on barns - LaBrake, Denise A

Dyane,

My husband and I researched all of these before
we built our one pole barn. We were told by many
not to insulate the roof and as a matter a fact there
is limited insulation they recommended for the rest
of the barn as well. Only particle up from the ground
depending on your climate. My horse got used to the noise real
quick. And it cut down on the birds. Get yourself a couple
barn cats and that will take care of them as well.

The reason they say not to insulate the roof is because it
will cause the building to hold moisture very quickly when
you stall your horses. Horses let off steam as you know especially
during wet weather and spring/fall/winter months. Moisture is
bad for horses if they are confined. It's bad for their feet and their
respiratory.

Our barn is dry as a bone. The only insulations we did is on the
outer walls of the stalls and it only goes up to the height of the
stall and not completely up to the ceiling.
Some good advice you can attain is have call you local Morton Buildings Rep.

http://www.mortonbuildings.com/
Have him come out and quote you on exactly what you want.
He'll give you a video and you will learn some tippers on barn building.
Also you local farm lumber supply, like a horse board fence builder also
specialize in
barn building. We had them come out and quote us as well.

In addition we did some reading. I think there is a book out about creating
the perfect Hobby Stable for your horse and it goes over the roof insulation
thing.
I will check the name of it tonight and post it for you. It think it might
be by Cherry Hill,
not sure. It was a great advice for preping the property to bring home your
first horse.
Lowes or any home garden/builders center has books on building barns. Pick
one up, they are valuable.

We built our own 1200 sq' barn. We also put the loft in as well. It turned
out great. Lot's of work though.

Good luck!
Denise
KY