Re: [RC] Feeding Colt - heidi

It has been many years since I brought home a weanling.  Today I bought
a  six month old colt.  I  would appreciate feeding recommendations to
help  maximize his growth and health.  What, how much, supplements, etc.
?  I  can feed as much timothy hay as needed.  I would appreciate some
help.  Thanks.  Bob

It helps when feeding youngsters to differentiate between "maximal" growth
(which is what you want if you are trying to get the most meat production
for your feed dollar) and "optimal" growth, which is what you want if you
plan on keeping the youngun for a great many years to come, and riding him
in athletic endeavors.  In fact, I don't think it is possible to achieve
"maximal" growth and also accomplish good health.

That said (and soap box aside), young horses need forages to develop their
hindguts properly and to keep the right metabolic pathways tuned up for
good energy production from feed later in life.  The single biggest
mistake that occurs with youngsters is overfeeding concentrates--very much
on par with feeding children candy bars and fast food.

Free choice this baby with the best timothy hay you can put in front of
him, and feed a minimal amount of concentrate, just enough to get a good
vitamin/mineral supplement into him.  Check with your local vets and
county ag extension folks to see if you have specific deficiencies in your
area that need special attention--the selenium deficiencies in some parts
of the country are sufficiently profound to require additional selenium
supplementation for optimal health, and there are other local deficiencies
in other parts of the country.

Other than that, clean water and plenty of turnout room are the main
ingredients...

Heidi