[RC] horses: registered vs mustang vs heinz 57 - Mary Ann Spencer

I know of a champion endurance rider who's first horse was a mustang.  20 yrs ago the 'registered Arabians' were too expensive for those of us who were riding and trying to ride endurance.

For the most part:  Arabian show people turned down their noses at those of us who rode endurance and trail.  They also snubbed those of us who rode Engish Hunter Seat saying there would never be classes to go anywhere.  Sounds like Lif is part of that crowd.  She is entitled to her opinion but she is intolerant of those of us with another view and not looking thru blinders.   Well, times are changing.  The 'show' folks have almost NO ONE in the stands and there are more hunter and dressage classes every year.

The economy in the horse industry fell out in the 80s when the tax reform happened.  Horse prices PLUMMETTED and the guys who were only into the horses for the tax write off, bailed out.  POINT:  times change and in this US OF A there is more equality and opportunity for all of us, including ALL horses to excell at what we have the ability and the endurance to do the hard work to achieve.

HIDALGO:   the movie used a paint but the history channel says he rode a gray MUSTANG!!!

REMEMBER:  all mules, horses, ponies and donkeys  are allowed to compete.  The vet checks keep the 'abuse' or possible endangerment to the equines to a minimum.  Endurance people used to be tolerant of all who are honest and trying.  I spent all of 2003 horseless in Iraq.  Seems the endurance group is accumulating some SNOBS among it's ranks. Hopefully, not too many in TX.  I have not competed for 2 yrs now.

REMEMBER:  the motto:  TO FINISH IS TO WIN

We all have different goals.  Not all of us can be the champion.  Championships come with a whole different set of obstacles and sacrifices.

Horrah for Ed.  His info makes me more inclined to check out a mustang next time I am horse hunting.

PS   If one doesn't like the subject, use your delete key.  I have been on ridecamp off and on for several years.  This is discussion about endurance and horses.  Many are entering the world of horses and endurance.  If one is too narrow minided not to see any other point of view.  FINE but don't think the rest of us need to be silenced.  Until the market crashed very few ARABIAN purebred were ridden endurance.   People were paying $10,0000 for fancy show horses but their rejects were sold cheaply to 'endurance' riders usually without papers.  Many halfArabians are full due to this.  I have been watching the trends for a long time.  Get a grip and be tolerant of others.

                                         Mary Ann-
                                        who still has to go back to Iraq but hopes to get a horse there next t                                       time