Re: [RC] buying on a budget - Doubledal

For anyone considering a BLM mustang...

Please don't think that you need to be a professional or some kind of horse whisperer to take on one of these horses.  There is a lot of information out there on how to do this, and a lot of people willing to help you learn this process, which is not difficult, just takes patience and willingness to learn.  In fact, there is a week long workshop coming up (Sept. 19-25 I think) where there are lots of professionals coming together to teach participants all the in's and out's of this process.  You don't just watch them doing it, you actually get to be in the pen with a wild horse (and lots of good professional guidance) doing the gentling!

When I went last year, there were people of all levels of horse experience and from all disciplines who were part of the process of making completely wild horses into horses that could be handled, haltered, and in some cases, saddled in the course of just one week!

Like any horse, mustangs are not for everyone, and of course, not all of them are perfect for endurance.  But if you are considering a mustang, for whatever purpose, look into some of the resources out there to help you train them, and if you have the chance, check out this workshop.  www.wildhorseworkshop.org

Karen (wishing I could go back to the wild horse workshop this year, but husband is coming home from Baghdad for 2 weeks R&R, so I'll gladly skip this one and be back next year!)