[RC] bumps in the cinch area only, please help!! - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Tara Walker twpumpkin@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

If anyone has had this problem please contact me.  Our vet is schedualed to do
a biopsy this Saturday. I would like to keep from doing this so any opportunity
for alernative healing with
out surgery would be greatly appreciated. It first started out 2 months ago, my
daughter and I did a training ride of about 20 miles or so.  Didn't do anything
different than we usually do. This gelding has been ridden in the same cinch
for about 2 years or so, cleaned appropriately etc.  The next day after our
ride he had these bumps in the cinch area.  Huge like gum balls 3 on one side
and 2 on the other, and 1 long one about 4 inches long and 1 inch tall by the 3
bumps.  They had heat so we cooled them.  The next day they all had a scab on
the top of the bumps.  They did not burst.  No infection, he had no
temperature. Called the 1st vet. He said never seen anything like this before,
I'll
research this and and call you back.  Gave him a Cortozone
shot (thinking its an allergic reaction to something) and he said call me
tomarrow let me know how he is doing. We changed cinches to a Mohair, the first
one was neoprene. We wait for about 8 days the bumps finally go away, we put a
very loose cinch on him and go for a short ride about 8 miles or so.  Bumps the
following morning.  This time only on one side.  Call another vet this time a
dermatologist.  He gives him an antihistaime says give
him these pills for 16 days 3 times a day and wash the area with this
antifungal soap 2 times a day. We do this. It doesn't work The bumps got
smaller, but they were still there.  We rode with a friend for 15 miles.  The
next day bumps. He said maybe its an allergic reaction to something in his
feed.  So we take him off all supplements except equine senior.  His diet is
timothy/orchard grass and equine senior now. We take him on a ride on Saturday.
SUnday mornig the bumps were the biggest we've seen. and there were many on
both sides.  The cinch is more of a decoration than to hold the saddle on its
so loose. There are no other marks on his body anywhere.  These bumps all got
scabs on the tops but no erruption. No temperature. Since the depleation of his
other supplements he has lost weight.This gelding is 19 years old and very fit.
He has done many LD rides and 3 50's.  When we train he pulls my daughters
arms out he's so strong, eats great, drinks alot on the trail and at home.
Please if anyone out there has had anything similar please contact us my e-mail
twpumpkin@xxxxxxxxxxx