[RC] knee pain - Mary Ann Spencer

by the end of =
the ride my knees were talking to me!  I think I definately want to stay =
with an english style saddle -

When I did my first 50 miler, I had knee pain but as I developed better legs, my knee pain left.  I have been using english all purpose or dressage saddles. But also did one fifty with an Aussie saddle( cause it slowed down my mare who wanted to go faster than I wanted to go) and that worked ok.  I do not wear gaters or boots on my legs so I will be reminded to keep my leg where it belongs--the stirrup leathers will pinch my calves when I don't.  A leg as long as possible also takes some stress off your knees.  A dressage length leg seems to work pretty well.   When I rode with a shorter leg it bothered my knees more.   ALSO, there is a new stirrup that a friend of mine is using that has helped his knees.  Can't remember the name but can find out.  He rides western and hassels me about my english saddle.   Definitely difficult to get a saddle that makes rider and horse both happy.

                                      Mary Ann