[RC] length of loops in humid TX - Mary Ann Spencer

A couple of yrs ago, I did the Armadillo Ride and it was horribly humid.  Weather this yr was also horribly humid.  Over the yrs, the loops were 10-15 miles and I was used to that and liked it.  I DID not like the 20 mile loop.  But we survived.  Another time, we did not not.  One of our 2 horses was pulled when pulse did not come down.  The other one had to go on alone and that slowed things down.  There are always those kinds of challenges and strategy mistakes.  My 15yo and I had traded horses and she let her horse move on out as that horse insisted on being ahead of all the others.  Another problem is the effect on the riders, as it is tiring on the riders too as they sweat also and get dehydrated.  I did not finish due to my pulse being 140 and I was out of water in my camel bak.  Risk did not seem worth it to push a tired horse with a dehydrated rider so we quit.  I had lost track of how far I was from camp but figured I was out time to finish in time.  Heat can be a killer to humans as well as animals.   A noncompeting rider rode past me and took message to camp.  I walked to next road and waited for assistance.  My daughter was brought out and rode the now rested mare to finish.  DANG, only took her about 30 minutes as horse was now a bit rested.  BUT it took me a LONG time to get rehydrated.   I now have to watch myself in the heat.  Last yr in Iraq, 7 soldiers died as a direct result of dehydration and heat stoke.   Some things are not worth the risk.  Best to wait and ride another day.   The humidity here at home in E TX is just as bothersome as the 120 was in Iraq.

                                                                  Mary Ann

ps One year we took a nap with the horses at 1pm and that really helped.  Granted we were not in the top 10 but Endurance used to be:  To finish is to win.