RE: [RC] buying on a budget - Mary Ann Spencer

Other things to factor into the BLM program costs (ps I am not against the program):

Cost of building a fence big enough to keep the equine in:  in TX it has to be 6ft tall and a certain minimum sq footage<---   That alone will buy you an already trained horse

Cost to get there, ie how far away is the 'auction'-then bidding process

Injuries during the gentling process-time off work, doctor bills, etc

Gelding the colts/stallion-this is upwards of $125 plus the care afterwards--my guess hosing off a somewhat wild colt would be another interesting challenge.  --My dressage instructor says gelding are made in heaven.

Broken tack-best to use the old stuff but still something to consider.

Broken fences, disruption to other horses you may have.

However, there are a lot of great success stories if you can get thru all the extra risks.

This past weekend, I saw some 3yo qtr horses being ridden by green riders and the horses were not bothered by anything.  They appeared to be 'working' qtr horses so were not so bulky in muscle.

A good disposition can go a LONG way over looks unless one really likes those 'extra challenges'.

A local trainer is 'sortof giving away' a warmblood she has been working with for over 2 yrs.. he just likes to 'rodeo' and won't stay 'trained'.   We take a risk with every horse we ride or try to train.   Remember, the injuries you sustain will return to mess up your life later on.  Moderation is a good thing.  Bull riders and bronc riders eventually have their injuries catch up to them.  Personally, I still want to be riding at 75!!!
                           Happy Trails, Mary Ann

Subject: Re: [RC]   buying on a budget

In a message dated 9/7/2004 5:41:45 AM Pacific Standard Time,