From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Jon.Linderman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, September 07, 2004 9:14 AM
To: nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;
So_Cal_Endurance@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] NSH in endurance/CTR

I used to write for the NSH magazine.  My wife owned & showed NSH's & I own
a NSH who has 1,000 endurance and CTR miles combined.  I'd like to point
out that there are some common misconceptions about what constitutes a NSH.
First, not all NSH's are 1/2 arabs.  People have gotten almost violent over
this statement.  According to the NSH breed standard, by "blood" a NSH can
be anywhere from 25% to 90% arabian, the remainder ASB.  In the case of my
guy both parents are registed 1/2 arab 1/2 asb's NSH's.  Such breeding is
usually temed a "straight" NSH.  Also, many successful english-type NSH's
competing today exclusively in NSH classes are 3/4 asb's, and as such would
be ineligible to compete as 1/2 arabians in any sport.  Further, the
approved stallions list is fairly selective and pretty short, so what many
people think is a NSH is a 1/2 arabian who's other parent is an asb.  I too
have a list in mind of really nice arab/asb's, varying in % of each, who
have done well in CTR and endurance.  Most were arab/asb mixes that found
there way by hook or by crook into our sport, but more were simply arab/asb
crosses than NSHs.

A registered NSH who does well in endurance is frankly a failure as a NSH.
Not a failure as a horse and certainly not a failure to me, but by breed
standard a failure.  By breed standard a NSH is supposed to have the action
for English Pleasure, Country Pleasure, or 3-gaited, whether under saddle
or in harness, and some are also made into 5-gaited horses.  Even the
western pleasure NSH classes require a headset much higher than  1/2 arab
western classes according to USEA rules, at least the last I checked. The
core of the NSH community disdains western pleasure and hunter classes.  A
successful western pleasure or hunter NSH, even sweepstakes nominated, will
often bring less than an unproven english pleasure NSH at auction.  Just
check the Addis numbers.  So IF indeed you are looking at an NSH, where the
goal for that horse was to show it in NSH classes I'd be careful.  As I am
sure you aware there are all kinds of tricks with shoeing, bands, etc, to
get that "gaited" action.  The NSH shoeing rules are much more open than
arab rules and this might lead to soundness issues down the road.  Some of
the NSH core is also allied w/the Renai gang which espouses "open shoeing"
rules (you interpret what that means) and no drug testing.

I love my horse, except for his goofy name: Spffits, aka Spiffy.  Yes, he
has flaws, but so do many (most, all?) horses. I consider myself lucky to
know his history fairly well.  Though bred from one of theNSHR hall of fame
stallions, my horse was a dud in the ring and quickly fell into the hands
of an older lady who treated him with the utmost kindness and patience.
She hand walked him on metro park trails for 6 months before ever trail
riding him & even then they only walked.  Once a year she comes up from FL
just to see him.  He retains some of the residual gaited action, but as his
back and hind quarters have grown stronger, hes lost some of that
inefficeint and uncomfortable gait.

To date my horse has done well.  Well for me means he completes.  Hes very
sound, thanks largely to alot of solicited advice from our frequent ride
vet Maureen Fehrs.  In contrast, many unsolicited sugestions simply would
not work given some of his conformaitonal characteristics more common to
his breeding.  He has the longer back, but after some time working there
and with saddle fit its been a non-issue.  Shoeing has been somewhat
problematic, IMHO unique to his very steep shoulder and hip angles.  But,
he is very forward moving and willing w/a very fast walk.  He is said to
have good bone & all but 25 of his miles hes carried a true HW rider.  I
can't tell which moments I blame on the arab and which on the asb, but
while HR recoveries for endurance are fine, cutting hairs in CTR to get
that sub 42 HR just hasn't been a reality.  Perhaps this is due to the fact
that his gene pool of arab blood may not be as strong as say a 1/2 to 3/4
arab.   Another benefit I discoverd is that NSH trainers who also train
ASB's frequently employ cart training.  My guy was broken to a cart
somewhere in his show training and I now train him w/a cart quite
often....wheeeeeeeeeeee!

Would I buy another NSH?  Not sure.  I'd certainly buy a 1/2 or 3/4 arab,
IF, he had the qualities I wanted and needed.  But if he had an extensive
show history in say 3-gaited or english pleasure I'd likely pass.  Spif's
been a fun project & w/every completion and compliment I am reminded of an
all knowing CTR rider who told me to get rid of him because w/his asb blood
he'd never amount to anything.  I love the fact I didn't listen to her!

Jon