Re: [RC] buying on a budget - SandyDSA

In a message dated 9/7/2004 5:41:45 AM Pacific Standard Time, whytrotfarms@xxxxxxxxx writes:
if you are serious about buying a good endurance horse and paying a rock bottom price,  get a mustang!  you can find one of just about any size, shape or color.  prices start at $125 for younger stock at the blm adoptions, but you can find some 4 years old and up for $25!  thats right, $25!  that is what i paid for a five year old mustang stallion,
Bless you for doing this - bringing a otherwise undneeded horse into your life. But - there always is a but:) - remember that not everyone (in fact, few people are) is prepared to raise, train and patently handle a "wild animal". Frankly a ton of people are unable to manage domestic horses (judging by the huge business for trainers and "natural hrosemanship" clinics thriving? and it would follow that few people are qualified to do what you have done. While this may be a very good option for the skilled, experienced AND mature, I would fear encouraging the rank and file riders, many who are first time horse owners, acquiring a mustang thinking this was their ticket to partnership and competitive success - only to be bit in the butt, so to speak.  havign seen both scenarios - the success story with an accomlished horsewoman who I had known for some time, as well as the horror story with another - it woul be reasonable to add a caveat that this avenue is not for the greenhorn or those with little time AND patience. As much as I would love to have one of these terrific horses, I know that I do not have the time right now to do right by one. Perhaps in another year or two!

San