Re: [RC] Auctions, Breeding (LONG) - Truman Prevatt

Actually I have never bought a horse at an auction and I personally wouldn't. All the horses I have bought have been from individuals. I rode them before I bought them and they had a good exam before I bought them. If there were warts I knew it going in up front and make an informed decision. However, I would not hestitae to buy a horse that had been bought at an auction from the individual that bought it  if I determined it was a good buy.

The risk with buying a horse at an auction is you don't get the opportunity ride the horses or have them examined. I do know pepole that have had good luck with auction horses - and I applaud their ability to pick out a good horse.

The key I think to the discussion is there is a surplus of good horses - at least in my area - and a horse like any commodity is only worth what someone will pay for it. Some of the over supply may be because of the racing industry - some may be because of the show industry and some may be because of the tax codes. After these two major hurricanes in three weeks there may even be more as people have more pressing issues than horse -  getting their life back together. As long an over supply exist, the prices will be reflective and there will be plenty of options available for people.

Truman (sitting here waiting for Frances to finally move through - damn is this sucker taking it's time)

Ridecamp Guest wrote:

Truman, I think it is wonderful that you and others have had such good luck at auctions.  There is nothing I like better than a good Cinderella story and I think it is wonderful when any horses are rescued that are deserving of same.  I totally respect your right to do so.

I applaud this kind of dialogue as it shows what a wonderfully diverse group of individuals enjoy and participate in this sport both from a rider and a supply side.  May we continue to participate constructively and with great foresight.
Respectfully submitted,
Kim Johnson/Belesemo Arabians

--
"It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis

   "It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis.

    It is necessary to be exalted, and yet take modesty as a foundation."