Re: [RC] 'pound dog' mentality for horses? - Lynne Glazer

It's on the website. Signup is free:
<http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-rodeo4sep04,1,5665965.story? coll=la-home-local>

So if the "horse tripping" that they refer to is the mangana, then they are reporting on an illegal event. Sounds like the usual deal, no money for enforcement like half the laws in this state. Grrrrr. And the horse pays:

>> A bidding war for the best quarter-horses erupted, doubling the prices over the last five years to as much as $15,000.

The growing popularity of charreria, and the increased political sophistication of Mexican Americans, was evident in their response to a 2002 proposal to outlaw bull-tailing, a rodeo event in which charros pull a running bull to the ground by the tail.

Years before, the state Senate had banned horse-tripping, part of another charreria event. Charros went to Sacramento, dressed in traditional riding outfits. Their representative spoke broken English. They knew no one at the state Capitol. Only two senators voted against the ban on horse-tripping, and the practice remains illegal in California.

"We never had to defend ourselves in the past," says Marcos Franco, director of the U.S. division of the Mexican Charro Federation. "They just ran us over."

But when animal rights activists pushed for the ban on bull-tailing in 2002, hundreds of charro enthusiasts wrote to legislators. They hired a Sacramento lobbyist. By this time, more immigrants had become U.S. citizens and could vote; more legislators were Latino. The bill died.

Charros believe that a ban on bull-tailing would have killed the sport in California. Instead, it was invigorated.

Magic With a Rope

Under the hot sun and his wide sombrero, Ramiro Gurrola stood in the Sacramento arena in July as the manganas event began.

As the mare circled the arena, Gurrola whipped his lasso into a spinning circle, then jumped through it.

At just the right moment, he laid the rope out. It rolled like a hoop into the path of the charging quarter-horse and magically encircled the animal's front legs.

Gurrola accomplished this on four of his six chances — twice on foot and twice while mounted. None of his opponents managed it more than once.

With that, Gurrola came from behind to win the right to contend for the U.S. national Mexican rodeo championship, held today through Monday in New Cuyama, an hour's drive south of Santa Maria. If he wins there, he'll go to Mexico in October for the National Congress of Charreria.

<<