Sent: Saturday, September 04, 2004 8:14 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] 'pound dog' mentality for horses?

As an addendum to this topic, I was horrified this morning to see on the front page of the Times an article praising the burgeoning charro activity here in Lo Cal - specifically mentioning the rope tricks - "lassoing the front legs of a galloping mare; Points are scored for elegance and creativity." Having inadvertently seen this particular activity years ago, and also understanding that the huge and preferred number of these mares are smallish Arabians, (easy to trip, I understand, thus making these cowboys feel successful), one wonders just how many of these end up at auctions when their "career" is over. I imagine that being yanked off fo one's feet regularly soon does some permanent damage both to the body and the mind. While I do know some of these poor mares end up in rescue homes, it would seem logical that a great many more do not. Aside from the obvious indignity and cruelty of this "sport", I cannot imagine they would make great candidates for endurance, though not of their own doing. TO me, that is a risk. As Heidi said, rescue a horse and enjoy that, just like rescuing a dog at the shelter; but to rescue them with the goal to compete in the very rugged sport of endurance....ouch!