Re: [RC] 'pound dog' mentality for horses? - heidi

A surprisingly large number of horses at the Killer Feedlots go there
accompanied by their papers showing they have been extremely well-bred.
Bad things (divorce, owner illness, etc.) happen to good horses.

That's a part of why it is still helpful to understand something about all
this breeding stuff if one DOES "shop" the kill auctions.  As I mentioned
in a previous post, the couple of people I know who have had any
consistency of success going to the auctions have really educated
themselves about what families they are looking for--and they look until
they find the sorts of horses you are talking about.  The majority of the
ones they get do indeed have papers--or even if they can't get the papers
signed off, they at least know who the horses are, and what their ancestry
is.  They've come up with some gems that way--but as you say, they don't
just randomly shop the auctions, and they come home with horses bred to be
successful.

I had the interesting paradoxical position for several years of both
vetting local rides and being the sale yard vet at the local auction.
Ours didn't deal with a very high number of horses, and most of them went
to the kill buyers.  I had the "opportunity" (if one can call it that) of
seeing the same horses that came up with chronic "mystery lamenesses" etc.
at rides come through the auction barn, sometimes with the ride numbers
still on their hips.  <sigh>  And I likewise had the knowledge of who they
were and how they were bred.  Talk about getting to see the seamy
underside of things...  :-(    Some horses also came through from the
local back yards, and as Dyane says, many had their papers with them.  But
it was seeing those horses that weren't really suitable for the sport to
begin with, who were made to do something they were never intended to do
and who paid the ultimate price for doing so, that perhaps made me a bit
more blunt and frank about this subject.  I don't have a thing against the
horses that are not meant to be endurance horses--I just think that they
deserve a better fate than going back to the auction barn with a ride
number on their hips when they don't work out.  And the best way to
prevent that is to be honest about what they are suited to do in the first
place, and to put them to work in jobs to which they are suited.  If that
job isn't endurance, then out of fairness to the horse, that isn't where
he ought to be.  I think that is a lot of what Lif was talking about, too,
with regard to the difference between rescuing a horse because you like
him and want him to be your pet, vs rescuing a horse and asking him to do
a specific and very strenuous job.  You need to do your homework just as
much if you are going to shop the auctions for an endurance prospect as
you do if you are going to buy from a breeder--or in actuality, even
moreso, because there is no one at the auction to mentor you and help you
out.  Kristi is right on the nail with her previous--it isn't necessarily
the horse that tugs your heart strings that is suited to do the work.  You
really need a horse that does both--you need to like him, since he will be
your partner, but for HIS sake, you need to ensure that he can do what it
is you are asking him to do.

Heidi