Re: [RC] buying prospects - heidi

Some of this discussion has  gone beyond the "average" rider.  I don't
know  many people that can afford $10k for a "prospect", I suppose if I
could  afford it my shopping venues would change.  But if I have to
choose between  my "budget" horses and competing, I am going to have to
go with the horses.   I got into endurance because I thought it was a
sport I could afford to do  with my horse, unlike so many others.  I am
glad to see that it is as varied  a sport as I hoped.

Jena, what you say about the sport is true.  And if you have plenty of
"elbow grease" and a good eye, you can certainly go enjoy the sport on a
budget.  I also fully understand the being broke part--I still remember my
years of bumming around in a geriatric half-ton Ford pulling an old
beat-up Miley 2-horse bumper pull, with a little camper shell on the truck
and a foam pad inside for my sleeping bag, and a Coleman stove, and a
lantern, and a cooler.  My horse WAS the most expensive part of that old
outfit--I started endurance on my foundation stallion, who I got for $1000
only because his former owner was a good friend of mine and wanted me to
have him--and was going off to college and couldn't keep him.  I bought
him on a contract and paid him off when I sold his first filly.

That said--while one still sees rigs like that in ride camps, they are no
longer the average.  I now have a '97 Powerstroke that I bought used last
year, and my ratty old LQ trailer (rusty top, homemade interior) I paid
$4000 for--and I'm one of the "Okie" outfits in camp!  It might be
interesting sometime to do a survey of the average ride camp and find out
the makes and models and years of the trucks and trailers...  I'd bet my
'97 is considerably older than the average.  When one sees $50,000 t0
$80,000 (or more!) tied up in truck and trailer, and the folks are
quibbling over the price of a horse that is still down in the
mid-four-figures range, one does have to wonder what it is all about...

Heidi