[RC] buying prospects - Jena Williams

thanks Mel. I love hanging out with you cause you always say such nice things about Temba! You aren't the only one he doubted my purchase. Thank goodness my husband can't tell me know when I want something that bad. We really had a rough year to get him where he is, but he tries hard for me and that has made all the difference.

Some of this discussion has gone beyond the "average" rider. I don't know many people that can afford $10k for a "prospect", I suppose if I could afford it my shopping venues would change. But if I have to choose between my "budget" horses and competing, I am going to have to go with the horses. I got into endurance because I thought it was a sport I could afford to do with my horse, unlike so many others. I am glad to see that it is as varied a sport as I hoped.

I started going to the auction because I just love to look at horses. all sizes and colors. Wow, what a show. You would be surprised where most of the come from. Some have physical or mental problems, but many I see go through are simply bought in the midwest or ranches for cheap and trucked out here where they can sell them at quickly for profit. Or the seller is desparate for money or can no longer care for the horse. You can look at the horses before hand, and talk to the owner or seller if they are there. At the auction I attend they have a "breed sale" in october and loads of purebred Andalusians are trucked up from Mexico. Man, talk about some gorgeous horses! (of course, these are way out of my budget even at auction!) This is the sale I bought Temba at. So I can at least dream he is 'aralusian' can't I?

there used to be a quote floating around on endurance.net. Something about "Don't let someone tell you your horse isn't suited for endurance. They are just not suited for that person's type of endurance..."

Jena you keep doing what you are doing. You have a fine gelding there. He is a big butted trotting machine going up hills...I know cuz I've been behind him. He also has a huge powerwalk. Also you've done a great job of turning him around (trust me folks I saw this horse when she got him...and what he is now.) I can canter my mare past him on the trail and he doesn't much care. You turned a horse around that frankly I didn't see as much of a prospect when you first got him because of his emotional issues. He's a very sweet kind boy and I'm glad you gave him a second chance at life.

Personally I would never buy a horse at the auction...but I'm more worried about the physical issues you can't see.

Mel