[RC] Taking a Rider Option - Michael Maul

The topic of when a rider can take a RO pull has been discussed at length recently on the AERC Members Only Forum.
Since I think the topic is of general interest to AERC members on other lists - I'm reposting it.

A number of members were under the impression that pulling their own equine resulted in a RO listing in the results and a vet check was not required.

The AERC BoD discussed this topic in 2002 and set the following in place for the 2003 and later ride seasons.

I believe it's another good step in taking better care of our equine partners.

The quote below is from the Endurance News Ride Managers Forum Jan 2003 page 9 by BoD member Connie Caudill.

Title - New for 2003: Pull Codes

"First, all horses - before being dismissed or pulled from the ride - MUST be examined by a veterinarian. If the vet says the horse is not "fit to continue" then the rider option is not to be written on the pull code in any form.
The reason the horse is not fit to continue must be written down, even if the rider told the vet that he did not wish to continue. If the horse is deemed "fit to continue" and passes the vet exam but the rider feels that the horse is not quite right, either because he is a little off in soundness or metabolics, he may make the decision to pull his own horse out of competition. At that time you must list either RO-L rider option lame or RO-M, rider option metabolic. "