[RC] Need feedback making a decision.. - Julienne

(sorry this is kinda long)

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for feedback..  maybe I already know the decision I want to make and I don't know it yet?

Anyways, I'm trying to decide between my next ride being an LD endurance or a CTR.  We're getting back into these rides after a 3 year break.

Camp Far West is over Labor Day weekend.  I've never ridden this ride and I've heard it's flat, fast, and really hot.  There will be a lot of racers, and we're out there to finish.  I'm worried we'll go faster than we're ready (although she handled the pace at Fireworks well in the heat..  she got pulled for footsoreness being barefoot but had great recoveries - she has hoof protection now and is totally sound).  She's never had an issue with heat in past rides.  We're still trying to deal with going to rides "alone" since we've always been buddied up with my friend's really steady paint gelding.  She's a little more spirited at the beginning of the ride (can you say, airs-above-ground?) and I'm worried about her acting up since she'll be by herself.  I think a big reason I want to try this ride is to prove we can finish healthy and happy since we were pulled at Fireworks.

Silver Spurs CTR in 2 weeks - Same area, slower pace.  The main thing I'm worried about here is her acting up.. endurance folks seem a lot more tolerant/sympathetic of a goofball horse than CTR judges.. :)  We've done a lot more CTR rides than LDs (when we were riding with her buddy, she did really well) and I'm a bit more comfortable about the pace than the LD ride in the heat.  Also, the environment at the beginning of the ride might be a little more relaxed than at the beginning of Camp Far West which might help her focus on me.

In both cases I just want to complete with a happy, sane, sound horse, knowing I did a good job of conditioning and preparing her.

What do you all think?  Not gonna do both..  although I'll probably do a few more LD rides later this year after seeing how she is at this next ride.

Julienne
& Isabella (who I think prefers LD rides)

Do you Yahoo!?