Re: [RC] Cell phones on the trail - Lif Strand

At 12:22 AM 8/25/2004, Michael Maul wrote:
That's certainly true while you are in the check but with a cell phone you may be able to get this info on trail. That's where you spend most of your time and front runners could find the info makes a difference.

I say if people are that focused on beating another rider, let'em use cell phones. I don't ride to beat other riders, I ride to the best of my ability and my horse's that day. After the first few rides when I was a newbie, I realized that worrying about passing and being passed wasn't a lot of fun, so I started riding as if I was the only person on the trail, and I started riding to my highest ability. If I pass someone in the process, that's great. I kind of like the "to finish is to win" concept, and for me, to finish to the best of my ability and that of my horse's is truly to win.

If other riders want to focus on beating each other instead of riding their own ride, then go for it. There's no way to stop it anyway - we aren't doing CTR after all. Use cell phones, bump up against and test AERC rules all the time. Gives the board of directors something to do. That's the way AERC has been going over the years anyway, so why fight it?

   Lif Strand      fasterhorses.com
           Quemado NM USA